Artist's Statement

A quote from Grant Wood describes a condition from which he and many of us suffer: taking too much for granted. Wood said, "...To my great joy, I discovered that in the very commonplace, in my native surroundings, were decorative adventures and that my only difficulty had been in taking them too much for granted." Woods' words ring with truth. My goal as an artist is to capture the wonder of the often overlooked ordinary, the commonplace beauty around us, those little details that make all the difference in our daily lives. The rough hue of rocks, lush blue woodlands, weathered wood grains, and distant meandering dirt roads never cease to appeal to me. I attempt to share the beauty from which routine blinds us. My work can be purchased on ebay or by contacting me personally.

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Pretty Lady 12x16 Sold

As a rule, I don't get emotionally attached to paintings. When they sell, I release them with gratefulness to the buyer and a sense of satisfaction that the painting is in a "good home." Pretty Lady is an exception, however. The minute she sold, I regretted letting her go. A sense of betrayal enveloped me, and I felt like she was feeling pain (not the customer, but the dog in the painting).  Why I do not know. I have thought about her with remorse since then (not the customer, but the dog). Why don't I do a repaint, just paint her again you ask? The second painting might have a similar appearance, and have the same title, but BUT IT WOULDN'T BE THE SAME!

No comments:

Post a Comment