Artist's Statement

A quote from Grant Wood describes a condition from which he and many of us suffer: taking too much for granted. Wood said, "...To my great joy, I discovered that in the very commonplace, in my native surroundings, were decorative adventures and that my only difficulty had been in taking them too much for granted." Woods' words ring with truth. My goal as an artist is to capture the wonder of the often overlooked ordinary, the commonplace beauty around us, those little details that make all the difference in our daily lives. The rough hue of rocks, lush blue woodlands, weathered wood grains, and distant meandering dirt roads never cease to appeal to me. I attempt to share the beauty from which routine blinds us. My work can be purchased on ebay or by contacting me personally.

Thursday, July 23, 2015

Childs' Old Homeplace 30x36 400.00

The Childs lived in the house for a lifetime, farmed, and raised a family. Like others of its kind, the old vacant house stood for years as if in denial that she was no longer necessary. Nestled in a wooded grove on a dirt road, the house always startled me with its appearance after topping the rise in the road. I admired it, felt an affinity for it, somehow a kinship. I always wanted to fill it with laughter, children, and the sounds of life, somehow remove its mournful look. Time has no doubt handled that problem, for I have been told she no longer stands.

No comments:

Post a Comment