Artist's Statement

A quote from Grant Wood describes a condition from which he and many of us suffer: taking too much for granted. Wood said, "...To my great joy, I discovered that in the very commonplace, in my native surroundings, were decorative adventures and that my only difficulty had been in taking them too much for granted." Woods' words ring with truth. My goal as an artist is to capture the wonder of the often overlooked ordinary, the commonplace beauty around us, those little details that make all the difference in our daily lives. The rough hue of rocks, lush blue woodlands, weathered wood grains, and distant meandering dirt roads never cease to appeal to me. I attempt to share the beauty from which routine blinds us. My work can be purchased on ebay or by contacting me personally.

Thursday, June 11, 2015

W2 11x14 50.00

W2 is an odd name for a painting, but this is an "odd" painting. While discussing Shakespeare's Macbeth with a fellow English teacher,  this painting came to mind. The Elizabethan theater did not entertain the idea of women  playing the female roles. Only men were allowed to perform, men or young boys. Hence the infamous witches and even Lady Macbeth were played by men.  The "weird sisters" as Macbeth calls them were assuredly weird. One of Macbeth's lines actually mentions their beards. This depiction of Witch #2 is definitely flattering; she would have been a lot different. Just use your imagination.
       (Witches in unison as they dance in a circle) The Wierd Sisters, hand in hand,\
Posters of the sea and land/ Thus do go about, about, /Thrice to thine, and thrice to mine,/And thrice again, to make up nine./Peace! the charm's wound up.

No comments:

Post a Comment