Artist's Statement

A quote from Grant Wood describes a condition from which he and many of us suffer: taking too much for granted. Wood said, "...To my great joy, I discovered that in the very commonplace, in my native surroundings, were decorative adventures and that my only difficulty had been in taking them too much for granted." Woods' words ring with truth. My goal as an artist is to capture the wonder of the often overlooked ordinary, the commonplace beauty around us, those little details that make all the difference in our daily lives. The rough hue of rocks, lush blue woodlands, weathered wood grains, and distant meandering dirt roads never cease to appeal to me. I attempt to share the beauty from which routine blinds us. My work can be purchased on ebay or by contacting me personally.

Sunday, March 10, 2013

The Old Bike 8x10 $60.00

I never had a new bike, only a used one that was actually too little and a boy's bike at that. Being a carefree kid, I don't remember being offended by the slight. I remember cruising the sidewalks in front of the school which was next door to my home. I was cool. My imagination was a free ranger. I was anyone I wanted and anywhere my daydreams took me. Life was sweet. When do we lose that...whatever it is? Does it evaporate when we lay aside our bikes and graduate into adolescent drama?  I long for that old bike, but more so for what it represents, the happy oblivion of childhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment