Artist's Statement

A quote from Grant Wood describes a condition from which he and many of us suffer: taking too much for granted. Wood said, "...To my great joy, I discovered that in the very commonplace, in my native surroundings, were decorative adventures and that my only difficulty had been in taking them too much for granted." Woods' words ring with truth. My goal as an artist is to capture the wonder of the often overlooked ordinary, the commonplace beauty around us, those little details that make all the difference in our daily lives. The rough hue of rocks, lush blue woodlands, weathered wood grains, and distant meandering dirt roads never cease to appeal to me. I attempt to share the beauty from which routine blinds us. My work can be purchased on ebay or by contacting me personally.

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Blue Enamelware 8x10

In an effort to simplify my life, I recently eliminated a lot of "things" from my house that I no longer use. One of which was a set of blue enamelware dishes that I bought years ago. I spied them in a hardware store, and I thought they would be lovely to use for my decor. I have long since changed my ideas about how much clutter I need around me. The blue enamelware was discarded. I still like the dishes; in fact, a friend of mine wanted the set and I gave them to her, glad that the dishes would have a good home. In tribute to the dishes that cheered up my home for a few years, I thought I would capture some pieces on canvas.

No comments:

Post a Comment