Artist's Statement

A quote from Grant Wood describes a condition from which he and many of us suffer: taking too much for granted. Wood said, "...To my great joy, I discovered that in the very commonplace, in my native surroundings, were decorative adventures and that my only difficulty had been in taking them too much for granted." Woods' words ring with truth. My goal as an artist is to capture the wonder of the often overlooked ordinary, the commonplace beauty around us, those little details that make all the difference in our daily lives. The rough hue of rocks, lush blue woodlands, weathered wood grains, and distant meandering dirt roads never cease to appeal to me. I attempt to share the beauty from which routine blinds us. My work can be purchased on ebay or by contacting me personally.

Saturday, December 25, 2010

Christmas Morning 30x42

Christmas Morning is the last of my Christmas paintings, and I saved it until today for the obvious reason. I read a short story once about an old man who wrote his wife a love letter for Christmas, for he felt the gift that he had for her was inadequate. I, too, often feel that the gifts I give are inadequate, not expressing what I truly want to say, not enough. What I truly want to say is buried in my innermost being; my words are mere babble, and the gift just a cheap trinket. Maybe that's yet another reason why art is important; it communicates those emotions that often are unexpressible. Words are merely words, so limited. Perhaps this delimma is at the core of the Christmas story. Humanity is incapable of understanding the heart of God and the words that rise from that heart, therefore, a visual was given, a work of art that says it more fully than words ever could. This morning, December 25, 2010, I quote another who struggled with expressing emotions-
                                                                  "Thanks be to God for his unspeakable gift. " II Cor. 9:15

No comments:

Post a Comment