Artist's Statement

A quote from Grant Wood describes a condition from which he and many of us suffer: taking too much for granted. Wood said, "...To my great joy, I discovered that in the very commonplace, in my native surroundings, were decorative adventures and that my only difficulty had been in taking them too much for granted." Woods' words ring with truth. My goal as an artist is to capture the wonder of the often overlooked ordinary, the commonplace beauty around us, those little details that make all the difference in our daily lives. The rough hue of rocks, lush blue woodlands, weathered wood grains, and distant meandering dirt roads never cease to appeal to me. I attempt to share the beauty from which routine blinds us. My work can be purchased on ebay or by contacting me personally.

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Solitary Flight 8x10

Each of us enters the world alone and we each leave it alone. As I painted this simple painting, I thought about the future day when I cross over into that mysterious realm.  The idea of soaring solitary on the updraft of God's love is very comforting to me.  "...but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."

1 comment: